Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Asparagus with Almonds


The boyfriend was making steak, I made the side dish. It wasn’t bad! I didn’t taste much of the almonds though, and I’d probably add more next time if I make it again. It was pretty easy too! Just slice, steam, sautee, and mix! If you’re a huge asparagus fan, than this is definitely for you.

Shopping List:
2 Pounds fresh asparagus (about two bundles)
1 Tbs soft tub margarine
1 Tbs slivered or sliced almonds
1 8oz can water chestnuts

Snap ends off of asparagus, then slice diagonally into 1 ½ inch pieces (I think that means at an angle). Place in a medium skillet with ¼ cup of water. Cover and steam over medium heat for about five minutes or until crisp tender. Drain off water and remove asparagus but keep warm (I just left mine in the collendar in the sink). Melt 1 ½ teaspoons (or half really) of the margarine in skillet. Add almonds and toast until golden. This won’t take long if you’re using sliced almonds. Add water chestnuts and heat through. Add asparagus and remaining margarine. Toss to mix, and heath though (I kept mine on the stove till my asparagus got really tender because that’s how I like it! Oh, I also added garlic.)
Makes 4 Servings

Nutrition facts
Cal – 119 Fat – 5 Pro – 7 Carb – 17 Fib – 5 Sod – 37

Difficulty – Easy Peasy
Yumminess - * * * * (Good compliment to steak)
Healthy-ness – Low cal, low fat, low sodium, high fiber! Doesn’t get any better than that!

Total Time: I cooked my asparagus a lot longer than the recipe said to, so I’m not sure. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment