Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Turkey Bacon Burgers


The boyfriend suggested burgers for dinner, and luckily, I had one marked for my project. (Side note: I might be running out of entrees soon!) He is kind of a skeptic when it comes to turkey burgers on the bbq, but he was willing to give it a shot. I have to admit, the cookbook nutrition facts seemed very low, so I double checked in a recipe calculator. With the amount of turkey I used (1.25 pounds instead of 1 pound) and the fact that I left the bacon on, the calories DEFINITELY changed. The nutrition facts I’ll provide will be how I calculated with 1.25 pounds of meat and leaving the bacon on. But back to the food, it was pretty good. I forgot to add the salt and pepper, and that was noticeable. But we topped them off with some caramelized onions and they were fabulous! I’d probably make them again, because they were pretty easy and didn’t take too long.

Shopping List:
1 Pound lean ground turkey
¾ Cup fresh whole wheat bread crumbs (I used white seasoned crumbs because that’s what I had!)
2 Egg whites (I know how to separate an egg pretty easily, so this didn’t scare me)
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
6 Slices center cut bacon (I used 12 because then the patties could be flatter and bigger!)

Mix ground turkey, bread crumbs, egg whites, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper in a medium mixing bowl. Don’t be afraid to use your hands! It’s easier. Form meat into six patties and carefully wrap a slice of bacon around the edge (or use two if your patties are bigger like mine were). Secure bacon in place with a toothpick on connecting ends. Cook patties in a nonstick skillet, under broiler, or on a grill until cooked through, being careful not to cook all the way through. On the bbq, the bacon cooks up nice and crispy; otherwise, remove bacon and discard.
Makes 6 servings

Nutrition facts (based on the ingredients I used)Cal – 249 Fat – 11 Pro – 25 Carb – 10 Sod – 525

Difficulty – Easy Peasey (Just mix, slap, wrap and cook!)
Yumminess - * * * * (Definitely needed the salt and pepper)
Healthy-ness – About the same as a regular burger because of the bacon. Removing the bacon removes about 50 calories per burger.

Total Time: 20 minutes prep, 30 minutes on the grill; total 50 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment