Monday, March 14, 2011

Chicken Fajitas

Tonight, the ever anticipated first night, I decided to make Chicken Fajitas. Not too complicated in terms of number of ingredients and effort in preparation, but it felt like a lot of steps. Mostly the amount of slicing of the bell peppers and onions – and boy oh boy did those onions make me cry – but I got through it injury free. In actuality, it wasn’t all that complicated, and I’d make it again with a few adjustments. First, I’d make sure I have enough lime juice! And be sure to add chili powder to give the chicken a kick. I added avocado (because I LOVE them!) which was nice, but I’m not sure I’d keep it. Maybe if it were mixed in some homemade salsa.

Shopping List:
4 Chicken breast halves (I used 1.64 pounds of chicken breast tenders because I’m lazy, and didn’t want to debone the breast halves)
2 Garlic cloves, chopped fine
¼ Cup lime juice
1Tablespoon olive oil
¼ Teaspoon paprika
½ Red Pepper
½ Green Pepper
2 Onions
Salt and Pepper to taste

Cut chicken into strips (however suits your fancy really; mine was kind of chunked). In a medium bowl, mix garlic and lime juice. Add chicken, toss to coat, and allow to marinate for about 45 minutes. When ready, drain liquid; cook in a non-stick pan sprayed with vegetable cooking spray until lightly browned and cooked through.

Meanwhile, slice bell pepper halves and onion (separate onion rings!). Heat olive oil in a large (and I mean large! I had to switch pans because the onions were too much) skillet, then stir in paprika. Add onions and allow to cook slightly before adding pepper. Continue to cook over medium heat, until vegetables are just crisp tender.

If you so desire, place tortillas – wrapped in foil – in the oven at 350 until warm. I (The Lazy Chef) popped mine in the microwave.

Chicken and veggies make enough for 8 fajitas, 2 with two fajitas per serving (i.e. 4 servings)

Nutritional Info (Chicken and Veggies)
Calories
– 249 Fat – 4 Carbs – 9 Protein – 43 Sodium – 201

Ratings:
Difficulty – Some Skill Required (slicing veggies, watching two skillets at once and time for marinating)
Yumminess - * * * (Out of five, would have liked chicken to have a little more pizzazz)
Healthy-ness – Very low in fat (awesome!) and a small amount of cals. Overall, pretty good for any diet you may be on, just make sure the rest of your toppings (like sour cream or avocado) don’t set you over the edge!

Total Time: One Hour and Fifteen Minutes (Includes 40 minutes of marinating time for chicken - during which I had a snack)

2 comments:

  1. sounds yummy! I love that I can follow your fun blog on my phone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job! I love the new blog! And now I'm SUPER hungry! You could lazy chef your way over to your lazy sister's kitchen and cook anytime you want!

    ReplyDelete