Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Pasta with Artichoke Tomato Sauce

I’m not going to lie, this didn’t sound all that appetizing when I picked it. I picked it out a couple days in advance in order to get shopping done in one swoop, and I think I was hoping I would be in the mood for it. I wasn’t. I’m not a fan of vinegar or tomatoes, two things this recipe has. It wasn’t unbearable, it just didn’t hit the spot for me. And holy shit! Chopping canned tomatoes is HARD! So is slicing marinated artichoke hearts. I didn’t do things in complete order according to the recipe, because I was soo tired (didn’t start making dinner till 8!) My boyfriend really enjoyed it, but I’m not sure if he was humoring me. I won’t be making it again.

Shopping List:
6oz Jar of marinated artichoke hearts
2 Garlic cloves, minced (I used Christopher farms pre-minced)
28 oz Can of whole tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
1/8 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
8 Ounces of uncooked mostaccioli noodles (I did penne, because they’re pretty much the same)
4 Teaspoons grated parmesan

Put water on to boil for the pasta. Cook noodles according to directions on the package; drain. Meanwhile (I actually sat back and did nothing, huge mistake), drain artichokes, reserving 1 tablespoon (I did about 1 ½ tablespoons) of the marinade. Thinly slice artichokes crosswise (I think this means “hamburger” style), discarding any tough outer leaves (which were A LOT! Also, the marinade made the artichokes very slippery and they did not want to cooperate with my semi-dull knife).

In medium skillet (I used the pot I boiled the pasta in, because I let the pasta boil ahead of time), heat the reserved marinade. Add garlic and quickly sauté until soft, but not browned (I think it was about three minutes on medium heat). Add chopped tomatoes (I was chopping tomatoes as the garlic was sautéing), artichokes and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 15 to 20 minutes (It’s surprising, but the tomatoes give it some extra juice that does boil. I however was impatient and didn’t let it simmer the whole time). Place noodles on large serving platter, top with sauce and sprinkle with Parmesan (I mixed mine together in the pot I boiled the pasta in, but it was a little too small and we had some penne runaways).
Makes 4 large servings

Nutritional Facts:
Cals – 337 Fat – 5 Carb – 63 Pro – 12 Fib – 4 Sodium – 498

Ratings:
Difficulty – Some Skill Required (Chopping the tomatoes and slicing the artichoke wasn’t easy, but all the steps were)
Yumminess - * * (What saved it, was the herbed chicken I added on top)
Healthy-ness – Not too bad calories wise, but keep an eye on your carbs and sodium!

Total Time: Gosh, probably about 20 minutes, because I didn't let it simmer the whole time. But I was also making chicken at the same time, so that could be a little off.

OH! And I'm going to try and have pictures of meals, I forgot last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment