Saturday, March 19, 2011

Barbeque Sauce and Green Bean Medley (double post!)


Barbeque Sauce:
I have never made barbeque sauce before, so this was certainly an adventure. It had a little more of a vinegar taste to it than I prefer, and not as spicy as I expected, but I put it on a steak and it was awesome! So easy too. If you know how to chop and onion and measure, you can make barbeque sauce! Next time (because I’m DEFINITELY making it again), I’m going to use it as I grill meat – slathering it on as it cooks. Mm Mm Mm!

Shopping List:
Onion (only about a third of it or ½ cup finely chopped)
8oz Tomato sauce
3 Tbs brown sugar (I used dark)
2 Tsp chili powder
1/3 Cup cider vinegar
1/8 Tsp Tabasco (I didn’t really measure, I kind of just shook it in till it looked good)

First, chop the onion finely (I didn’t do it too fine, but I should have). Combine tomato sauce, brown sugar, chili powder, cider vinegar and Tabasco in a small sauce pan. Heat on medium high, and as it starts to boil, add onion. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and let simmer for about 7 minutes.
Makes about 1 ¼ cups of sauce

Nutrition facts (per tablespoon)
Cal – 15 Fat – < 1 Pro – < 1 Carb – 4 Fib – < 1 Sod – 6

Difficulty – Easy Peasy! If you know how to chop, you can make this.
Yumminess - * * * (Like I said, it was a little more vinegary than I would have liked)
Healthy-ness – Nice low sodium, low carbs, and low cals! Compared to most bbq sauces with 75 cals per tbs, and over 100g sodium.

Total Time: about 20 mins (includes onion chopping time)

Green Bean Medley:
Sorry, no picture, I forgot. This wasn’t bad! And again, super easy. I would have liked more bacon flavor, so I think next time I would sauté the bacon and the onions together before adding the green beans. Also, I might lower the heat and put a lid on it so that all the flavors meld together nicely.

Shopping list:
1/3 Cup finely chopped onion (about a third of an onion)
1 Tsp soft tub margarine (I accidentally started melting a tbs! So I quickly corrected myself)
2 Strips bacon, cooked and crumbled (Lazy Chef Tip: Most stores sell pre-cooked and crumbled real bacon bits. One tablespoon equals one slice of bacon – that’s what I used. Saved time!)
16oz can of Green beans (Fancy cut, not sliced)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Have at it with that onion! Chop chop chop, then cook in margarine in a non-stick skillet about five or six minutes. Drain green beans, and add to onion, then add bacon. Salt and pepper to your fancy, cook until heated (about another seven minutes), stirring frequently.
Makes 4 fairly large servings

Nutrition Facts (per serving):
Cal – 67 Fat – 3 Pro –3 Carb – 9 Fib – 2 Sod – 362

Difficulty – Easy Peasy! Pretty much just heat and serve.
Yumminess - * * * (Like I said, I’d like more bacon flavor)
Healthy-ness – Sodium is a little high, but everything else is nice and low! Makes a great side.

No comments:

Post a Comment