Monday, March 21, 2011

Bisquick "Protein" Muffins




I put protein in quotations, because it's only 8 grams per muffin, which doesn't seem like all that much. I found this recipe on MyFitnessPal.com under some random forum post. It sounded interesting, so I thought I’d give it a try! It looks a little funky before you bake it (Bottom picture) but afterwards, it looks totally normal! (Top picture) They taste a little like bran muffins, so I think next time I’ll add more sugar, more cinnamon, or use splenda (because it has a more concentrated taste than sugar). But overall, they’re pretty good! I’ve only eaten one, and it was plain, so it might be good with some butter or jam.

Shopping List:
2 Cups Heart healthy Bisquick
1 Cup low fat cottage cheese
2 Scoops protein powder (I used Pure Protein, vanilla flavor)
½ Cup applesauce
½ Cup skim milk
1 Tbs cinnamon
2 Tsp baking soda
1 Tsp sugar

Preheat oven to 450. Mix dry ingredients in a medium to large mixing bowl, and mix wet ingredients – cottage cheese, apple sauce and skim milk – in a smaller bowl. When wet ingredients are fairly blended (cottage cheese curds will still be present), mix all together. Mix until semi-thick, like thick cake batter. If you’re afraid of it getting too runny, start with ¼ cup milk, and slowly add more. Pour in to greased muffin pan (I didn’t grease mine enough on the top edges – they do pop over!). Bake for 10 minutes, or until a toothpick can come out clean from the center. Let cool before trying to remove – you may need the help of a knife to wiggle them out, as they are kind of sticky.
Makes 12 muffins

Nutrition facts (per muffin)
Cal
– 117 Fat – 2 Pro - 8 Carb –10 Fib – ? (my recipe builder didn’t track it) Sod – 460

Difficulty – Easy Peasy! Even though there are a lot of ingredients, they’re all measured similarly, and it’s really just mix and bake!
Yumminess - * * * (Like I said, kind of a bran muffin taste, but not bad)
Healthy-ness – Way lower calories than another muffin, and they’re full sized! Fat is low enough too that you could butter them. Just keep an eye on the sodium.

Total Time: about 40 mins (includes baking time – and that’s a total guess)

1 comment:

  1. Can I use Greek yogurt l/f 0% instead of cottage cheese

    ReplyDelete