Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Mexican Chicken Bake


Okay, don’t judge this recipe by its picture. I am not sure what inspired me to make this, but I’m glad I did! It was very filling. But it was also a lot of calories. I wish it wasn’t, because I would have eaten so much more! It was my first adventure with ground chicken…interesting for sure. Fairly easy to make, just not super healthy.

Shopping List:
1 Package corn bread mix (8.5 oz)
1/3 Cup nonfat milk
¼ Cup egg substitute
¾ Pound lean ground chicken (I used a pound, which I suggest. It adds about 75 calories per serving)
8oz Monterey jack cheese with jalapeno peppers (I got the wrong kind, but luckily had a can of diced jalapenos to add)
16oz refried beans (I went for the no fat ones, and saved 5 grams of fat per serving!)

Prepare corn bread mix with milk and egg substitute. Pour into an 8x8 pan sprayed with cooking spray and bake at 400 for 12 minutes. Do not allow to get brown! While that’s baking, brown chicken in a skillet. I took the time to season it as well, even though the recipe doesn’t call for it. When cooked through, remove from heat and add ¾ of cheese. Stir until cheese melts. Spread refried beans evenly over baked cornbread. Top with chicken mixture and remaining cheese. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until heated through. Cut into squares and serve!
Makes 6 servings

Nutrition facts (based on what the cookbook tells me, but may differ slightly depending on brands)
Cal – 482 Fat – 23 Pro – 18 Carb – 46 Fib – 7 Sod – 923

Difficulty – Some Skill Required (Doing two things at once! This takes just a little bit of concentration)
Yumminess - * * * * (Glad I seasoned the chicken!)
Healthy-ness – I think the only good thing about this dish is the protein and fiber. Not exactly low sodium! But I guess dinner for under 500 calories isn’t bad.

Total Time: About 35-40 minutes depending on how fast your chicken cooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment