Saturday, March 26, 2011

Biscuits


I think everyone, at one time in their life, has made biscuits from bisquick. When I was younger, I was pretty sure that’s how biscuits were actually made, till my mom and I made “Drop Biscuits with Wendy” from one of her really old cook books. I hadn’t made them since…until now! Honestly, these didn’t turn out like I expected, and there is a lot that I would do differently next time. They didn’t taste bad, but they weren’t super great either. Next time, I’d make 9 instead of 12 because it was tough to get 12 out of that dough, and I’d go for the soft biscuit version, because they turned out like little hockey pucks (but soft on the inside). And for some reason I kept forgetting the instructions!

Shopping List:
2 Cups flour
½ Teaspoon salt
3 Teaspoons baking powder
1 Tablespoon, plus 2 teaspoons melted margarine (I use I can’t believe it’s not butter light)
¾ Cup nonfat milk

Preheat oven to 450. Mix flour, salt, and baking powder in a medium mixing bowl. In a separate dish, mix 1 tablespoon of margarine, and milk together. Add to the dry ingredients. Mix gently but quickly (I wasn’t sure what this meant, so I just mixed it like I normally would, but didn’t beat it to death). Dump onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Flatten out until about ¾ of an inch thick, and cut with a medium biscuit cutter (I used a cookie cutter!). Place on a baking sheet sprayed with nonstick spray, and bake 10-12 minutes.
Makes 12 biscuits

Nutrition facts (Per biscuit)
Cal – 95 Fat – 2 Pro – 3 Carb – 17 Fib – 1 Sod – 316

Difficulty – Some Skill Required (Not everyone knows how to knead, and it’s really hard to get the scraps to come back together to make more to cut out)
Yumminess - * * * (A little dry, and too crisp for my taste)
Healthy-ness – Can you really beat less than 100 cals for a biscuit? I mean, really?

Total Time: About 30 minutes. That’s actually a total guess 

No comments:

Post a Comment